Tuesday 6 March 2012

Why gluten free?



After all my thinking about which recipe to choose, it all got blown out the window when I came across a recipe online last night for a spanish orange and almond cake! It looked so fluffy and light that I couldn't resist! Best of all it's GLUTEN FREE! YAY! 


I've had irritable bowl syndrome since i was about 10 so i'm well used to spotting the food that sets it off and the food that soothes it! Two things I know for definate are wheat and yeast! however I LOVE  bread and cake and basically all the delicous stuff I shouldnt be eating! Boooooo to dodgy tummies!


So even though this recipe has sugar in it, it is made on ground almonds instead of flour which makes my stomach very happy! 








The recipe is so simple :

  • 2 oranges, about 280 g (10 oz) in total, scrubbed and roughly chopped (with skin)
  • 5 eggs, separated
  • 200 g (7 oz) caster sugar
  • 225 g (8 oz) ground almonds
  • 2 tbsp flaked almonds
  • sifted icing sugar to decorate



My little boy trying to steal an orange!


The lovely spanish oranges I purchased!










So I had mine with some warm custard and it was scrummy! Although it was a lovely cake i found the skin a bit bitter! Next time I make it I would peel the oranges before cooking them! 


So enjoy whichever way you decided to go with it and whatever you put with it (some ice-cream with a warm slice of cake of this cake definitely wouldn't last long on my plate)!


Happy baking,
Love ems.x

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Emma, delighted to be the first follower on your lovely blog! Thank you for your comment on mine. Are you on Twitter, if you are I will try to find you and add you to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colette, Delighted to have you as my first follower. Love your blog, some really great recipes. I'm trying to get into the swing of this! I certainly am. Just followed you on twitter so you'll find me there!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you, all good, keep with it, and keep blogging, it's great fun, trust me - C :)

    ReplyDelete